International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences

International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences


International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences
International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences
2019, Vol. 1, Issue 1
Index measurement of climate variability and household vulnerability: A case of western Nepal

Raghu Bir Bista

This study examines the relationship between the magnitude of climate variability and household vulnerability in the catchment areas of Sot Khola sub water basin in the western mountainous Surkhet, Nepal by constructing theoretical climate vulnerability index based on household level data collected from 642 Household covering adaptive, sensitive and exposure. Its result is climate vulnerability index (CVI) of households living in Sot Khola sub water basin’s catchment areas, which provides sufficient evidence of heterogeneity in climate variability and vulnerability of household across location and altitude of the catchment areas. In all clusters, all households are vulnerable at different level. Households have heterogeneous adaptive capacity in which about 40 percent household have less adaptive capacity indicating potential vulnerable households, although 60 percent household have higher adaptive capacity. Majority households (52.7%) are sensitive to Climate induced disasters: landslide and flood due to their socio-economic status and food insufficiency. But about 47.4 percent households are less sensitive. Since households’ locations are far from flood and landslides patches, about 4.4 percent households are higher exposure but 95.6 percent households are in less exposure. The composite index of climate vulnerability index shows 50 percent moderate and higher vulnerable household from climate induced disaster: landslide and flood. It was supplemented by additional 17.0 percent moderate vulnerable housheolds. Thus, in total, about 67 percent household is vulnerable at different level from moderate to extremely higher vulnerable. The remaining (33 percent) is least vulnerable.
Pages : 07-14 | 761 Views | 359 Downloads